Fact Sheet: Open Doors USA
- Open Doors is one of the world's oldest ministries to work with persecuted Christians.
- For more than 60 years, the organization has served Christians in more than 60 countries who face discrimination and persecution due to their faith.
- Open Doors was founded in 1955 by Brother Andrew, a Christian who smuggled Bibles behind the Iron Curtain into communist countries in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union for more than two decades during the Cold War.
- Open Doors advocates for those living under persecution and educates those living in the rest of the world to mobilize, motivate and inspire them to act on behalf of persecuted Christians around the world.
- Open Doors provides Bibles, trauma counseling, emergency aid, training and Christian resources to Christians who are oppressed for their beliefs; coordinates programs for women and children who are marginalized for both their beliefs and status in society; and helps to restore communities for refugees and others who have had their communities destroyed because of their faith.
- Open Doors has on-the-ground resources around the world. Through personal testimonies thanks to its frontline presence, the organization pulls back the curtain and provides a raw and complete story of persecution.
- Open Doors' research provides the most comprehensive assessment of the persecution Christians face.
- The Open Doors World Watch List is released each year ranking the top 50 countries where it is most difficult and dangerous to be a Christian. Since 2002, North Korea has topped the list at No. 1.
- The Open Doors World Watch List is a global indicator of countries where human and religious rights are being violated, predicting the countries that are most vulnerable to societal unrest and destabilization.
- Christians are one of the most persecuted religious groups in the world today and are oppressed in at least 60 countries.
- One in every nine Christians in the world experiences high persecution.
- Around the world, more than 245 million Christians face high persecution.
- Open Doors USA advocates against religious persecution of any kind, against people of any faith (or lack of faith), and asserts that it should not be tolerated under any circumstance.
- Open Doors wants persecuted Christians to know they are not alone.