Funeral Motorcade from Asheville to Charlotte
Updated: Feb. 24, 2018, 3:38 P.M. ET
The following are details for media planning to cover the transportation of Billy Graham's casket from the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove in Asheville to the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte. Audio from the media briefing on Feb. 22 is available here, and audio from the media briefing on Feb. 24 is available here.
The chapel at the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove will be open 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 22, and Friday, Feb. 23, and 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 24. The property will be closed on Sunday, Feb. 25, and resume normal hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday) on Monday, Feb. 26. Those wishing to pay their respects may visit the chapel or gather at the recommended viewing areas referenced below.
A media pool has been designated to cover the transportation of Billy Graham's casket from Asheville to Charlotte, but the ceremonial arrival at the Billy Graham Library is open to credentialed media.
Ceremonial Departure Time
11 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 24
CEREMONIAL Departure Location
A media pool has been designated to cover the transportation of Billy Graham's casket from Asheville to Charlotte. For details see, Pool Report of Motorcade from Asheville to Charlotte.
ESTIMATED DEPARTURE TIME OF MOTORCADE
Ceremonial Arrival Time at the Billy Graham Library
Reporters and photographers must be in the Media Center and credentialed by 2 p.m. (To apply for media credentials to be on-site at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, fill out this form.) Shuttle buses will then take them to the media area to cover the arrival ceremony. All media must be in place at the designated media area in front of the Library by 2:30 p.m.
Billy Graham Library
1 Billy Graham Parkway
Charlotte, NC 28201
See below for downloadable PDFs of the route and recommended viewing areas.
Route and points of interest
All times are approximate.
11:25 a.m.—Asheville Details
1. Depart the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove; take I-40 E
- For details, see Fact Sheet: Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove.
2. Take Exit 59 (Patton Cove Road, Swannanoa)
3. Turn left at Patton Cove Road
11:35 a.m.—Black Mountain Details
(recommended viewing area is on State Street between Craigmont Road and I-40; see map for details)
4. Turn right at US-70 E (W State Street)
- At the intersections of W State Street and Highway 9 (on the right-hand side) is Town Hardware, formerly Black Mountain Drugstore, a place Ruth and Billy Graham used to frequent. Billy often rode his horse there from their home in Montreat 2.3 miles away.
- Just behind Town Hardware, Cherry Street dead-ends at the railroad tracks where the Black Mountain train station used to be. In the 1950s, Billy often boarded trains to Washington or New York at the Black Mountain train station, then flew out from one of those cities to preach internationally.
- A photo of Billy Graham at the train station is available: web-ready (72 dpi) or high-resolution (300 dpi).
11:45 a.m.—Continued Route
5. Take ramp onto I-40 E
6. Take Exit 123A toward US-321
7. Merge onto US-321 S
8. Merge onto I-85 N to Charlotte
2:20 p.m.—Charlotte Details
(recommended viewing areas are on Tryon Street between I-277 and Stonewall Street; on Stonewall Street between Tryon Street and South Boulevard; and on South Boulevard between Stonewall Street and Remount Road; see map for details)
9. Take Exit 36 (Brookshire Boulevard) toward US-74 E10. Stay right to merge onto Brookshire Boulevard/W Brookshire Freeway
11. Stay left to continue on W Brookshire Freeway (I-277 S)
12. Take Exit 3B; merge onto 11th Street
13. Turn right on N Tryon Street (continue as name changes to S Tryon Street)
14. Turn left on Stonewall Street
15. Turn right on South Boulevard
- At the intersection of South Boulevard and West Boulevard (on the right-hand side) is Grace Covenant Church, formerly Chalmers Memorial Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, which was five miles from Billy Graham’s childhood home. Graham and his family were members of this church during his childhood and teen years.
- A photo of Graham graduating from the beginners department of Chalmers Memorial Church on Oct. 1, 1924, is available: web-ready (72 dpi) or high-resolution (300 dpi). Graham is on the far left in a black cap and gown.
16. Turn right on Remount Road
19. Turn right on Billy Graham Parkway
20. Turn right into the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association
- For details, see Fact Sheet: Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Fact Sheet: Billy Graham Library.
Click each image for full-size PDF maps.
Black Mountain segment