On-site Media Information
World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians
The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association will host its first-ever World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians in Washington, May 10 – 13, at The Mayflower Hotel (1127 Connecticut Avenue Northwest, Washington, DC 20036). At a time of increasing global persecution, the summit will gather 600 Protestant, Roman Catholic and Orthodox leaders and persecution victims from 130 countries to:
- Raise global awareness about the plight of persecuted Christians
- Demonstrate solidarity with those who suffer because of their faith
- Advocate to decrease all forms of marginalization, discrimination, harm and death perpetrated against those who follow Jesus Christ
To honor the privacy and security of summit participants, World Summit media credentials must be worn at all times while in summit event areas.
To apply for media credentials for the World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians, please fill out the online application. Approved media credentials will be provided at the on-site media center, located on the mezzanine level of The Mayflower Hotel. Upon arrival at the media center, please present one of the following (along with a driver's license or photo ID) to receive your approved credential: a working press identification, an official media outlet business card or a letter on outlet letterhead.
We request that you return your credentials to the media center or a summit steward (identifiable by their red shirts and black ties) when you leave the property.
Wireless internet and a limited number of workstations will be available in the media center on the mezzanine level of The Mayflower Hotel, which will be open as follows:
- Wednesday, May 10—5 – 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 11—8:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Friday, May 12—8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday, May 13—9 a.m. – noon
Considering the topic of the summit, some attendees may encounter issues in their home country if their faces are shown in photos or names are mentioned in news stories. To help protect attendees, media will only have access to specific plenary sessions and participants who have agreed in advance to do interviews. During the plenary sessions open to media, please avoid footage or images where participants’ features are recognizable. We appreciate the same discretion while media are traveling between the media center and plenary session media area. Please do not shoot photos or video of attendees or attempt to interview them in public areas. Requests for interviews can be made in the media center.
Official photos from the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association will be posted daily in high-resolution, downloadable format on this newsroom.
Media space is reserved for reporters and photographers to cover the opening session, plenary session II and the closing session of the summit. Due to the limited space available, we may only be able to accommodate one position per outlet; other positions will be offered as space allows.
An audio mult will be available in the media area during all three sessions.
- Wednesday, May 10, 7 p.m. (check-in begins at 5 p.m.)
- Keynote Speaker—Franklin Graham (U.S.): "Unshakable, Courageous Faith"
Plenary Session II
- Thursday, May 11, 9 a.m.
- Vice President Mike Pence will address the summit. (Cameras need to be in place for the Secret Service security sweep by 4 a.m. Thursday.)
- Keynote Speaker—Peter Kuzmič (Croatia):"A Biblical View on Suffering and Persecution"
- Friday, May 12, 8 p.m. (check-in begins at 7:15 p.m.)
- Trump International Hotel, 10th Street entrance to the Presidential Ballroom
- Keynote Speaker—Sami Dagher (Lebanon): "The Call of the Christian"
Footage of other sessions’ keynote speakers will be available through a pool feed. All feeds will be 1080 59 94i with embedded audio from HDSDI. Media will be allowed to watch these speakers at a monitor set up in the media center. (Schedule below is subject to change.)
Thursday, May 11
- 11 a.m.—Metropolitan Hilarion (Russia): "Defying Division"
- 4 p.m.—Robert Cunville (India): "The Gospel’s Power"
- 7 p.m.—Jack Graham (U.S.): "Strength Through Persecution"
Friday, May 12
- 9 a.m.—Cardinal Donald Wuerl (Washington): "Carrying the Cross"
- 11 a.m.—Bishop Michael Nasir-Ali (U.K.): "Ministering to the Oppressed and Persecuted"
- 4 p.m.—Ravi Zacharias (Canada): "Living in the World, But Not of It"
In the media center, requests can be made for interviews with victims who can share their stories of persecution; experts in the fields of relief and advocacy who can share more about the scope of the crisis and what can be done to help end it; and Franklin Graham, president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan’s Purse.
- Todd Shearer, 404.314.4206
- Scott Knuteson, 770.317.0499
- Jeremy Blume, 404.538.8589
Credentialing or Media Center Questions: Jennifer David, 404.791.7125