Charlotte Celebrates Operation Christmas Child Reaching 11M Children in Need This Year
Charlotte kids, families and volunteers are gathering to celebrate Operation Christmas Child, a project of Samaritan’s Purse, which will reach millions of children this year with gift-filled shoeboxes and a message of hope.
Right now, more than 2.4 million of the shoeboxes—packed with toys, school supplies and hygiene items—are arriving at the Charlotte Processing Center to get ready for a journey around the world. After preparation for shipment, they will be delivered to children overseas using whatever means necessary—boats, airplanes, trains and even elephants.
When Dec. 8, 1 p.m. ET
Morning Live Shots begin at 5:30 a.m. with shoebox recipient and Carolina volunteers
Where Charlotte Processing Center
7100 Forest Point Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28217
COVERAGE OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
- Hundreds of thousands of colorfully wrapped shoebox gifts bound for children around the world
- Bustling activity resembling a Christmas workshop, as thousands of volunteers help receive and prepare shoebox gifts for overseas shipment
- Jordyn McNeal and her mom who are heading to Atlanta today to drop-off 1,637 shoeboxes—the results of a giving challenge Jordyn created to get other youth involved in helping kids around the world.
- Shoebox gift recipient Izabella McMillon, who received a box as a 13-year-old living in communist Romania. Now living in the U.S., Izabella packs shoebox gifts with her 6-year-old son Kaleb; giving comes full circle.
- Charlotte kids, who are sending a powerful message to children worldwide by packing shoebox gifts: “You are loved and not forgotten!”
- Youth and adult volunteers, who are working to ensure some 11 million children in more than 100 countries will have a Christmas gift this year.
On-site Media Contact: Karen Dye, 404.538.8591
It is not too late to pack a shoebox. The Charlotte Processing Center will accept packed shoeboxes until Dec. 23. Or simply visit samaritanspurse.org/buildonline to virtually build a shoebox and personalize it with a photo and a letter.
Operation Christmas Child is a project of Samaritan’s Purse, an international Christian relief and evangelism organization led by Franklin Graham. Since 1993, Operation Christmas Child has delivered gift-filled shoeboxes to more than 124 million children in more than 150 countries and territories. For more information on Operation Christmas Child, call 800.353.5949 or visit samaritanspurse.org.
MEDIA NOTE: For complete media materials, including fact sheets and high-resolution, downloadable photos, visit samaritanspurse.org/occnewsroom.