THIS WEEK: World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians
Persecution Victims and Advocates from 130 Countries Gather in Washington Seeking Solutions and Solidarity
To help raise global awareness about the plight of persecuted Christians and show solidarity with those who suffer because of their faith, Franklin Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association will host the first-ever World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians. The conference will bring together more than 600 participants from 130 countries.
May 10 – 13
The Mayflower Hotel
1127 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20036
Christians are now one of the most victimized groups in the world. Approximately 215 million Christians experience "high, very high or extreme persecution" in the 50 countries where it is most difficult to be a Christian.1
The summit will provide a platform for firsthand stories of persecution to be heard, collected and documented. The summit's goals also include connecting victims, advocates, leaders and influencers to create partnerships that can help bring about change—while encouraging and praying for those who have faced beatings, torture, imprisonment, rape and even death because of their Christian faith.
"We want this event to shed a global spotlight on the crisis of the persecution of Christians and help reverse this alarming trend," said Franklin Graham, president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and the international Christian relief organization Samaritan's Purse.
- Media are invited to cover this event at The Mayflower Hotel (1127 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036). Click here to apply in advance for credentials.
- Interview opportunities include:
- Victims who can share their stories of persecution
- Franklin Graham, president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan's Purse
- Additional experts in the fields of relief and advocacy who can share more about the scope of the crisis and what can be done to help end it
- Media space is reserved for reporters and photographers to cover the opening and closing sessions of the summit. Other sessions will be available through a pool feed.
- Opening Plenary Session: May 10 from 7 to 9 p.m. (Mayflower Hotel)
- Closing Plenary Session: May 12 from 8 to 9:15 p.m. (Trump International Hotel)
- Details about additional plenary sessions and other background information can be found on this newsroom, and interview schedules will be available on-site at the summit.
- A media check-in and work area will be located on the mezzanine level of The Mayflower Hotel. Media center hours:
- Wednesday, May 10, from 5 to 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 11, from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Friday, May 12, from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, May 13, from 8:30 a.m. to noon
1According to Open Doors USA